• Sun. Jul 25th, 2021

An allegedly-stolen ute led police on an extensive pursuit through Adelaide’s northern western and southern suburbs overnight


May 28, 2021
0 0
Read Time:1 Minute, 57 Second

An allegedly-stolen ute led police on an extensive pursuit through Adelaide’s northern, western and southern suburbs overnight, and failed to stop even after road spikes caused sparks to fly from its wheel.

Key points:

  • A 33-year-old Brompton man has been charged with serious driving offences
  • He was allegedly unlicensed and on bail when he led police on the 80-minute chase
  • The ute was spiked twice before eventually hitting a tree

The chase started about 11:55pm at Brompton, north-west of Adelaide, and came to a halt almost an hour-and-a-half later in the CBD, but only after a police helicopter had been engaged, and the Ford Ranger ute had hit a police car and then a tree.

Video of the chase through Adelaide’s CBD shows the ute spitting sparks from its front wheel with five police cars in tow.

Police spotted the vehicle on Torrens Road at Brompton and began pursuing it when “checks revealed the car was stolen”.

“This was a really long one, the car covered a lot of ground,” Senior Constable Kate Dawson said.

“Patrols activated their emergency lights and tried to pull the car over, but it took off.”

Minutes later, the police helicopter was called in and tracked the vehicle as it looped around major roads in Adelaide’s north-west, before heading along Port Road towards the city.

After passing through the CBD it then travelled south along King William Street to Goodwood and then headed west, reaching South Road.

After heading through the back streets of Glandore, South Plympton, Plympton Park and Morphettville, the ute ended up in Glenelg.

“The Ford then went north on Tapleys Hill Road right up to Old Port Road, before again heading toward the city on Port Road,” police said.

It was road-spiked a second time on Currie Street about 1:15am, and then hit a police car on Waymouth Street, before eventually coming to a halt when it hit a tree on Light Square.

“Patrols pounced on the driver, a 33-year-old Brompton man, and placed him under arrest,” police said.

“He’s been charged with multiple serious driving offences and it also turns out he didn’t have a driver’s licence and was breaching his bail,” Senior Constable Dawson said.

The man will face the Adelaide Magistrates Court today.

0 0 %
0 0 %
0 0 %
0 0 %
0 0 %
0 0 %

Average Rating

5 Star
4 Star
3 Star
2 Star
1 Star

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.