A German official said a suspected Nazi terrorist attack was prevented in the western city of Essen.
Joachim Stamp, the vice prime minister of the state of North Rhine Westfalia, reported on Twitter that such a terrorist assault was foiled.
Reacting to Stamp’s claim, a police spokeswoman in Essen said: “We can neither confirm nor deny that.”
North Rhine Westfalia Interior Minister Herbert Reul was scheduled to make a statement on the case later in the day.
Police in Essen are investigating possible planned crimes at two schools against a 16-year-old.
“We can confirm that the suspect is a 16-year-old German student from the Don Bosco High School,” the police said.
A police spokeswoman told the German Press Agency (dpa) that the special anti-terror police unit (SEK) had searched the high school student’s apartment early in the morning.
Based on dpa information, there are indications of right-wing tendencies by the accused as a manifesto was found in which he refers to several people whom he says he hates.
Police are reportedly interrogating the suspect and his parents.
According to the German Interior Minister Nancy Faeser, far-right violence is “the biggest threat to democracy” in the country.
Neo-Nazis and right-wing extremists committed 21,964 crimes in Germany last year, the government reported on Tuesday.